Labor Day, Part 2

September 4, 2006

My labor with Sophia was dramatically different than it was with Trevor.

I was huge in this pregnancy — to the point where a waitress asked me what my due date was and when I informed her, she asked if I was just having one baby. My father-in-law would shake his head and say, “I swear to God, you’re having triplets!” In my third trimester, I couldn’t sit in an upright position because the baby was so big that it pushed on the muscles over my ribs and made me very uncomfortable. So I was ready for that baby to come out around 7 months, I think.

On Saturday June 1, 2002, I had gone to the mall and walked around. And around. And around again, just for good measure. I didn’t feel like walking (who does when they’re carrying 60 extra pounds of weight and their center of gravity is off?) but I had read that walking could induce labor, so I figured I would give it a shot. I stopped by Victoria’s Secret where a friend of mine worked and she said, “What are you doing here?” I replied, “Trying to make this baby fall out.”

At 2 AM on June 2, I awoke with pretty severe pains (contractions). I got up and started timing them the way they told us to at the Childbirth Refresher course. When the contractions got to be 5 minutes apart, I woke Dan up and called my mom so she could stay with Trevor while we went to the hospital.

In the meantime, I thought about eating something as I had vowed to do after the ice chips episode with Trevor, but just couldn’t do it… the contractions were too painful. I finally understood what everyone had meant when they said, “When you start having contractions, you will know.”

We got to the hospital around 3 AM. Apparently, there were a lot of babies that decided to be born that night because I had to sit in the waiting area for almost an hour before they even let me in to get a room. Visitors were coming in and out and looking at me saying, “I can’t believe you’re still here.” My contractions were getting stronger and closer together. As I gripped the chair arm to maintain my composure, I told Dan, “If we get in there and they tell me it’s too late to get an epidural, I will be EVIL. You will see a side of me you have never seen and will never want to see again.”

They finally let us in and checked me to make sure I was really in labor. Hah! I was 8 cm dilated when they checked! They said I was a keeper and eventually got me a room. I told them that I was ready for an epidural but they said that the anesthesiologist was busy doing an emergency C-section so I would have to wait. Argh! I think I finally got the epidural around 5 AM. I remember it was getting close to dawn. I remember watching a TV documentary about gorillas, and falling asleep off and on, only to be awakened by an alarm that kept beeping when my blood pressure would get too low.

My doctor arrived around 10 AM and jokingly thanked me for waiting until morning to have the baby. She asked me to push and said the baby was crowning, so it was time. Just like with Trevor the nurse wanted to cut back my epidural but my wonderful doctor told her not to. Three pushes and I was done, my 8.5 pound girl was born at 10:30 AM. The doctor said something like, “Well, that was easy… just three pushes!” to which I replied, “Yep, I am the woman!” (And I totally meant it because I was just too impressed with myself.) LOL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: